Thursday, December 5, 2013

DIY Dutch Door for your Toddler!

It's 1:33AM, the washer & dryer are still going, so let's just make this an all nighter, Mmmk?

While you're here, I've been meaning to share with you the DIY Dutch Door my husband and I completed last week. Yep, my Husband pretty much did this all on his own.

I was there for love & support, to hold this or that, and of course to snap photos throughout the entire process.






I think he was more excited to use his new Ryobi toys than I was to get a dutch door for our daughter's room!






After hours of labor, he went the extra mile and added a lock onto the door, which was genius! I'm sure our babygirl will appreciate it as she gets older. Also, I plan on adding a pull handle eventually, too.

This is a project we've been wanting to do for a while, so I'm stoked it's finally finished. For the most part.....

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I want to prime the bottom half with some Magnetic Paint, then give it a coat of Turquoise paint. Her closet door was given a coat of Chalkboard paint and she enjoys drawing on it. I thought it would be even more fun {for her} to have an area where she can play with her alphabet and dress-up doll magnets if I'm busy upstairs and need her to stay in her room. Stay tuned for that reveal!

In the meantime, head on over to Unexpected Elegance to see her dutch door. Her post is where we found our Pinspiration! Her tutorial was very easy to follow, and budget friendly, too, as she provided us with tips on how to add the extra hinges without spending a lot of money for the tools.

As a Mama, I like to check on my daughter every now and then during naptime and/or bedtime, but sometimes getting her to stay in her bed during sleepytime is a hassle. She's mastered the baby gates and honestly, I'm glad because they're a pain in the butt, so she would just open it up and run out of the room! I have never closed her bedroom door since she was born and wasn't about to start, so this dutch door has been the best thing since sliced doors bread. It is not shown in the pics above, but we have added a childproof lock on her bedroom door, so she's not able to open it from inside her bedroom.

We are so pleased with this transformation!

post signature

4 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your comment. I read each and every one and will be sure to reply!